Skip to main content

Start With A Real "Why": The Reason You Stay On The Wagon


More often than not, I hear people getting all gung-ho on starting a new regimen. They want to look awesome in that bikini, that dress, for that trip... You name it! It all looks good for the first days, but then, the inevitable happens: They try a little bit of pizza, chocolate, etc. and they get off the wagon. Well, there are many reasons why this happens and I will name a few that are the most common ones I've either heard or been a victim of:


  1. Restrictions - We aren't designed to be restricted. Even if we have evolved over thousands and thousands of years, we are still wired to eat anything we have near us to prevent any starvation periods. Moreover, hunter-gatherers back in the day would have different periods of famine and eating. So, our technology and modern lifestyle have gone faster than our metabolisms can adapt. Therefore, restricting ourselves from eating this or that will most likely make us crash and burn. The solution I've found works for me is substitution. Ok, I know that eating that Jell-O Chocolate pudding is loaded with artificial junk. How do I make it healthy? Easy! I grab a cup of organic Greek yogurt, add cacao powder to it and stevia to sweeten it. And that's a healthy alternative that tastes as good and without the junk. 

  2. Immediate changes - Wanting to switch to something overnight is going to do more harm than good. Just like in nature change happens over time, that's how it should be with your lifestyle. Doing this will make your changes long-lasting. With a workout routine, start with a weight you can lift or with a comfortable pace. Diet-wise, you can start by removing soda and candies first, then incorporating a bit of veggies, and so on. Don't get me wrong, if you are as extreme as me, you can easily go cold-turkey and stay like that for a while. But, more often than not, people need gradual changes. It happens to me too in other aspects of my life!

  3. Following a "new diet" - The worst thing to do is to follow what worked for that Victoria's Secret model. First of all, not everybody is the same and you should get to know your body and nutritional needs first before trying out something that may not work for you; secondly, depending on your goals is the type of diet you should have; thirdly, there is so much misinformation out there (eggs and fat for instance...). I think that if you're going to start a new diet, talking to a nutritionist or personal trainer, reading a book or even sticking to basics (eat whole foods and ditch all processed stuff) is a great place to start.

  4. Eating out very often - I get it. Eating out is part of a social thing. If a friend (or business partner) invites you to lunch, dinner, or whatever! You can't always say "no". But, if it's just you eating out all the time because it's "convenient" you're doing yourself a disservice. I'm naturally very anxious and a little of a control freak (well, a lot, actually) and I want to know what's in my food all the time. So, I prefer to meal prep and cook at home. That way, I know that what I'm putting in my food is organic, whole, etc. Keep this in mind: Restaurants don't care about your health, they care about your wallet! That's why they mix all these amazing flavors, add in MSG, fry foods in oil that hasn't been changed in weeks... You name it! However, if you ask me "Well... What do I do with those social dining events? Do I bring my container and not eat anything?" or "Aunt Sally's going to be really devastated if I don't eat her chocolate muffin cookies (Yup... Maybe they're a real thing somewhere!)!" Well... I have an answer for you. Most restaurants have healthy options, so, try to find a salad, a grilled meat, or something that doesn't include all the extra bad things. And, for dear aunt Sally, you can grab just a bite of those muffin cookies and call it quits. I'm sure they'll understand that it's not the cookie, it's your health you're taking care of, and, if they appreciate you, they will support you and encourage you to continue.

  5. Not a strong "why" - I believe this is the strongest motivator or the fuel to your change. If you don't have a strong reason to make the change, you will see yourself falling off the wagon. Is it because you want to prevent a disease? Is it because you want to live to see your kids/grandchildren grow up? Is it because you want to be healthy and have a great quality of life when you're older? Is it pure, eternal vanity? WHAT IS IT? Once you find that real reason, setting a time for every activity that will take you to that goal is going to be easier to follow (diet included).
Those are basically the main things I have had to deal with on a daily basis, and some of them I still experience very often (such as eating out for a social or business purpose). But, the thing to keep in mind is the "why", once you have that, your actions will follow and you'll remember to make the right choice every time. Nevertheless, whenever I've gotten off the wagon (traveling tends to do that to me!) I just get on the wagon the next day.... Trust me, the guilt combined with my WHY won't let me be off the wagon for too long and I hope you are either at this point or close to it too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cereal Diet

One morning, I woke up completely decided to change my life. I was tired of being called names, being told how bad I was at keeping a normal/healthy weight and decided to follow what the "experts" always said: Eat less, move more.  Little did I know that it wasn't just about that. I had no idea about the nutrients my body needed in order to keep me healthy and my metabolism running smoothly. I can honestly say that at that time, ignorance was bliss.  So, what did I do? I thought that maybe eating 1 bowl of cereal a day would be enough to reduce the amount of calories I needed in order to lose weight, and, moreover, that dancing would be my exercise of choice! Yes... Dancing! For those who know me, I don't like dancing. I don't dance or anything (Well, alright... I can Waltz ;)). Anyway, since I was a Backstreet Boys fan, I would dance to all their songs and learn their choreographies. I knew the steps to most of their songs by the end of 6th grade

Trial And Error: Broken Metabolism And Healing

I remember going through different websites, looking for a trainer that would offer a workout and a meal program. Someone I trusted or had seen before. So, there was my solution: Jillian Michaels! I had heard about her from the show The Biggest Loser and had started seeing her supplements and other products at the store. So, I thought I'd give her a shot. She had everything I needed on her website. An app that would help me download the workout schedule and programs, as well as the recipes to eat healthy and be in the best shape of my life. I have to admit, at the beginning it was daunting! I started off by throwing away all the junk food I had in my kitchen cabinets and fridge. Then, I restocked on the ingredients I would need for my healthy meals. I honestly had never spent as much money on food and I was curious about all the new things I was going to try out. I was pretty consistent and disciplined with the meal plan and workout program Jillian had chosen for me

It's Not Me, It's You: How To Deal With Saboteurs

How many times have you wanted to change but have run into people who just tell you that that change you want is not going to happen, that things won't work out because that's "not life" and you're better off just doing the same things you and everybody else has been doing all along? I call these people "vampires", because they suck out your energy and optimism, but they are more commonly known as "saboteurs". And, I get it, change is hard and, for some people, seeing their friends change makes them feel uncomfortable because their environment is changing and they no longer feel in control. This happens even more often when it is someone who you're close to. Let me share with you some brief stories to which you will probably relate: 1. I don't drink, nor smoke, nor do drugs. Never have and never will. I have tried alcohol before, a sip here and there, but never to the point of drinking beer after beer until getting drunk. I hon